Thursday, August 2, 2012

Awakening Your Greatness

I have been deeply touched this past week by a series of commercials has been airing during the Olympics on greatness.  We have a tendency to look at these athletes as greater than us, the same way we may look at celebrities, or those in powerful positions.  But what makes them any different than you or me?  I believe that we were all born with the same amount of greatness in us and through the course of life we forget that it is there.  We may have come from a dysfunctional family, struggled in school, not successful in sports, or in our minds at anything.  But the truth is regardless of all of these things there is an ember of greatness within each of us that is just waiting to be fanned into a flame. 

I have lived life on both sides of this coin.  When I was younger I believed that I could do anything in spite of coming from an emotionally and sexually abusive home. I lived in my heart and pursued things that others were afraid to – I moved in my greatness.  But as I entered into a dysfunctional relationship and the shadows of my childhood rose up and swallowed me I took the elevator from my heart up to my head and put an “out of order” sign on it and stayed there for many years, afraid to feel.
Then I was reminded of the message of greatness once again, and that little spark in me started to glow.  I was reminded that I was not “broken” that I had purpose, that I was fearless, that I was brave.  As these words were spoken to me my heart came to life and the spark turned into a flame.  The journey at times was rough and many tears were shed and at times I did not want to believe, but greatness when unleashed is a force that can overcome all fear, all doubt and bring to life the person you were meant to be.
So, what is it that can fan that ember of greatness in you to become a flame?  What are you listening to in your head that is keeping you from your heart?  You are NOT broken.  You have the same amount of greatness in you as the next person.  It is there waiting for you to discover it as I discovered it.  Listen to your heart it is speaking to you- what is it saying?

1 comment:

  1. Currently my head is telling me that I don't want to be sitting on this computer working on my novel, but my heart is reminding me that dreams come from making daily decisions to follow them.

    ReplyDelete